Saturday, December 13, 2008

Book Reviews

I feel that I should start reviewing books on this blog, as more and more my time is consumed by reading books that are more series rather than stand alone master-pieces (of which I have read a few recently). I know that a review of a book in this universe of books and reviews won't make much of a difference, and yet, I feel that as unique as every human being is, the ideas and emotions involved with books are also pretty unique.
Recently I started and finished reading all the books in the W.E.B. Griffin series related to the Army. The series literally follows the lives of two main antagonists through to its end, with new characters being brought in after the first generation is taken out. I feel that I should warn at this point, that with the very brief background (and even that in the Air Force) my views towards these books (and series, and author to a larger degree) are very much biased. Living in the armed forces atmosphere, gives you a very unique perspective to look at things during your life (even if you are not active in the forces). I loved these books, and without going into too many details, I would say that anyone, who loves to see how the armed forces work, should read these books. They provide probably as approximate a picture as I have seen about what really goes on in the bases, and during training.
The second series that I started reading is also very near and dear to my heart. Alexander McCall Smith may not be categorized as a genius, but damn if I can tell the difference. This whole idea about a "Traditional Built Lady" from Botswana opening up a detective agency was something that initially caught my eye, approximately 2 year ago, and now approximately 6 books into the series later (and counting) I am almost addicted to get my hands on the new installment. The books are pretty simple, I would say the reading and comprehension are at approximately 8-10 grade and the prose is easy to follow with no complex plot twists which are almost like Pho noodles (ah, the exigencies of including a foodie reference in a novel review is priceless). What catches one's eye is that despite this simple prose, the author has intricately woven before us not only the culture of another country but another continent altogether (maybe Sarah Palin should start reading this). The books also explain human relationships and their impact on lives of the people with such efficacy that one can only imagine in one's mind what if the imagination becomes the reality? The characters are lively, and their connections with each other, are something that are the meat and potatoes of the books.
Obviously if you haven't already heard of this No. 1 Ladies detective agency series, then it's time you should. Pick up a copy from your nearest public library (and actually get some use out of your public library funding tax dollars) or if you like, buy the series. I have a pretty good feeling that you will like what you read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home