Saturday, January 15, 2011

Democracy in Tunisia! Dream on...

I am a cynic, so when I learned that the president of Tunisia had fled amid heavy protests from the people of Tunisia I felt elated... only for a while though. I started to ponder the consequences for Tunisia. Let me set up the background. Tunisia has been a semi-secular state for one generation. The youth coming to power and forming the biggest populace of that country were born into a secular state, however the probably are not completely aware of the religious unrest in which the ex-president had taken over the country. I fear that with democracy will come the political unrest, indeciciveness and last but not least religious unrest. That is what I see in the future of Tunisia. I hope and pray that I am wrong, that a nation full of Tunisian youth will actually follow the ideals on which the overthrew their government, but human greed is too powerful a factor to overlook. Tourism will suffer, prices will rise along with inflation and last but not least greedy powerbrokers within the country will take over and spell doom for the political idealistic society the youth once imagined. I cringe at the very thought of political bondage that the people of Tunisia were under, but let me ask you a question. Will democracy solve the very problems that created the unrest to begin with or will they elaborate and increase them. The Western powers will no doubt laude the Tunisian nation for overthrowing the oppressive regime of the president, but at the same time when things go from bad to worse economically these are the very powers that will indebt the Tunisian nation through IMF aid and then shackle the "democratic" government in so many bonds that they will always be paying their "democratic" debt to the western powers. I lament the bondage that the Tunisian people were under, but I hope for their sake that they haven't just traded one bondage for another.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home